5 Events for Weekend Fun: Pirates, Pups, Elephants and More
The countdown to the first day of school is on, and lots of events this weekend prove it! Stock up on school clothes and more at a Rhea Lana sale in Conway or Bryant. Or, hit a back-to-school bash: AEDD Preschool is hosting a free event, complete with a scavenger hunt and other games and Wonderkids Yoga gets kids ready for school with a yoga party.
Or, forget the impending school year entirely and head to one of three food-centric festivals in Arkansas this weekend (hello, watermelon!). Click here to read our post about the free fests.
And, of course, we have five fantastic events for weekend family fun. Here are our picks for Aug. 8-10.
1. Pirate Birthday Party at The Wonder Place: Celebrate The Wonder Place's 8th birthday at a pirate birthday party! Celebrants will enjoy half-priced admission, a scavenger hunt, goodie bags, and special arts and crafts all day long. And of course, don't forget to wear your swashbuckling styles. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 8. For info: TheWonderPlace.com.
2. Arkansas Travelers vs. Corpus Christi at Dickey-Stephens Park: In addition to enjoying America's Favorite Pastime, families have plenty more reasons to visit the ballpark this weekend. You can bring your pup along during Bark in the Ballpark on Friday, Aug. 8. Kids will run the bases after the game, too. Saturday, Aug. 9 is Faith & Family Night, and attendees can enjoy a free concert from Danny Gokey after the game. Plus, both nights, fans can get player autographs from 10 minutes after the gates open until 25 minutes before the start of the game. Last, but not least, soldiers will be honored on Sunday, Aug. 10 during Military Appreciation Night and all families can get in for just $10 when they bring a church bulletin. Tickets are $4-12. For info: Travs.com.
3. 136th Arkansas Kennel Club Dog Show at Barton Coliseum: Dog-lovers get ready! The dog show is back, and this year you can view close to 1,000 dogs in competition, representing most of the breeds recognized by the American Kennel Club. $3, children 7 & up & seniors are $2, 6 and under are free. 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 9 & 10. For info: ArkansasKennelClub.com.
4. Breakfast with the Elephants at Little Rock Zoo: Enjoy a delicious breakfast buffet in Cafe Africa and a unique keeper chat. Ticket price includes admission for the day, so you can continue to explore the exhibits and animals. $21.95, children $16.95; members $16.95, member children $12.95. 8-9:30 a.m. Aug. 9. For info: (501) 661-7218, LittleRockZoo.com.
5. Hero Appreciation Weekend and Summer Concert Series at Magic Springs Water & Theme Park in Hot Springs: Magic Springs Water and Theme Park winds down its 2014 season with special events and a tribute to military, police, and firefighters. During the month of August, free admission will be offered to the heroes (valid for active and inactive military and official ID is required). Plus, a fire truck from the Hot Springs Fire Department will be at the park from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. this Saturday, Aug. 9. The truck will be located in the kiddie park area and kids will able to have their photo made with a firefighter. This weekend also marks the end of the summer concert serie: Plumb will play at 8 p.m. Aug. 8 in the Timberwood Amphitheatre, followed by Switchfoot at 8 p.m. on Aug. 9. Concerts free with general admission. For info: MagicSprings.com.
For more weekend events, browse our full online calendar here.