How to Celebrate Arkansas Farm to School Month
Get your green thumbs out, October is officially Farm to School Month in Arkansas.
Arkansas Farm to School Month encourages the commmunity to join efforts to connect schools, early care and education sites and other organizations with farms to bring local, healthy food to consumers.
Ways to participate in Farm to School Month in Arkansas include:
- Schools: Plan a school garden through your FFA or 4H Club. Farm to School grants are available through a partnership between the AAD and Farm Credit.
- Schools: Create a Farm to School salad bar, using local products.
- Teachers: Organize a farm tour or trip to the local farmers’ market.
- Teachers: Connect garden-based, hands-on learning activities to curriculum.
- Families: Take the kids to your local farmers market or harvest festival.
- Families: Cook with seasonal products, and involve the entire family in meal preparation. (Hint: try this healthy recipe sometime during the month of October!)
More than 42,000 schools have joined the Farm to School movement across the U.S., including 192 schools serving over 95,000 students in Arkansas. Find more resources for Farm to School activities and support online.