Museum of Discovery Takes Over Springfest, Sets Date for 2018
After the announcement this summer that Riverfest was suspended after 40 years, the future of that Springfest, the free family festival that comes a couple months before, was also in limbo. Since the two events are run by the same nonprofit organization, another organization needed to step in.
And that's how the Museum of Discovery saved the day. The family science museum will take over the planning and execution of Springfest, the free family festival presented the last two Aprils by Riverfest.
The third annual Springfest will be held in and around the First Security Amphitheatre and the River Market pavilions from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturday, April 7, 2018.
The event will feature many of the activities that were included in its first two years and the Museum of Discovery will add hands-on activities and exciting science shows.+
"Springfest will give the Museum of Discovery a chance to host a family fun day with a science twist," Museum of Discovery CEO Kelley Bass said in a press release. "Great partners including Heifer International, the Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center and the Little Rock Convention and Visitors Bureau have already gotten on board, and past and potential sponsors appear eager to work with us on making Springfest bigger and better than ever."
Bass also said that the event will remain a free attraction for all the attendees.
Activities and attractions planned for Springfest 2018 include:
- Super Retriever Series, which will feature dog and handler teams from around the country as they compete.
- Ruff on the River Pooch Parade, which showcases the best-dressed dogs and dog parents in Arkansas.
- Hero Zone, where festival goers can interact with first responders.
- Bounce Zone with obstacle courses, bounce houses and a giant slide.
- Construction Zone will give kids a chance to climb on and sit in large construction equipment and pilot their own toy trucks and dozers through the sand.
- Museum of Discovery Awesome Science Shows.
- Community dance and cheer teams and bands.
- Local food trucks and arts-and-craft vendors.
- More activities including face painting, "stomp rockets" and more!