5 Farmers Markets Opening This April, May
It's that time of the year again when local farmers will come together to share their fresh foods and goods with the public at farmers markets.
Here is a look at the local farmers market opening this April and May:
- Argenta Farmers Market, 6th and Main Sts., North Little Rock: Get ready for the market to open next Saturday, April 6. Shop for locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables, farm-raised beef, chicken, eggs, pasta, sauces, baked goods and more. Shoppers will also find original art by local artists, as well as beautiful handcrafted items, including jewelry, pottery, woodworking, birdhouses, pet items, and clothing. Check out the market every Saturday 7 a.m. - noon. Get more information by emailing ArgentaFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Bernice Garden Farmers Market, 1401 S. Main St., Little Rock: Local growers will convene April 14 in SoMa to sell sustainable fruits, veggies, nuts, berries, flowers, herbs, cheeses and tons of cool artisan goods. Come hungry opening day (April 14) as Travis McConnell, chef and butcher for the Capital Bar and Grill, will be cooking up sausage on the grill. The market will be open every Sunday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Click here for more information about the market.
- Little Rock Farmers Market, River Market, 400 President Clinton Ave.: Central Arkansas' largest farmers market will get its start Tuesday, April 30 and will run until Oct. 26 every Tuesday and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. The market will offer everything from Hope watermelons to Arkansas peaches, as well as organic chicken and all-natural beef. See the full list of vendors here. Call (501) 376-4781 or email email@example.com for more information.
- Jacksonville Farmers Market, #9 Municipal Dr., Jacksonville: The new season will get started May 4 in Jacksonville's somewhat new open air market and will run until Oct. 26. Market days are 4 p.m.- 8 p.m. Tuesdays and 7 a.m. - 12 p.m. Saturdays. For more information, call the Martin Street Youth Center at (501) 982-0818.
- Sherwood Farmers Market, Corner of North Hills Blvd. and Country Rd., Sherwood: The market will resume May 9 and be open 5 - 8 p.m. every Thursday until further notice. Dedicated to the sustainability of the local environment and economy, the market will sell locally grown produce, gourmet treats and handmade artisan crafts. Market proceeds will benefit Keep Sherwood Beautiful. For more information, call (501) 835-4699.
- Hillcrest Farmers Market, Kavanaugh and Cedar Sts., Little Rock: The year-round market that sets up shop in front of the Pulaski Heights Baptist Church will have a spring-and-summer Hillcrest Farmers Market Grand Opening from 7 a.m. to noon on Saturday, May 4 -- hours that will continue until October. The grand opening will include music and entertainment, kids activities, door prizes, and taste samplings. Hillcrest is in its third year of operation in May, and has added 10 new vendors, taking them to 26 farmers and vendors each week starting in May. It offers vegetables, pasture-raised beef, lamb and pork, free range chicken, cheese, eggs, flowers, baked goods, as well as artisan soaps and skin care products, starter plants for gardeners, and art and jewelry. The Food Truck and Southern Gourmasian food trucks are regulars at the market. Get more information here.
Throughout the farmers market season, InArkansas.com will be getting the scoop on all of the fruits and vegetables that are in season in its new "In Season" series, in addition to where you can find it all and how to prepare it -- straight from the Cooperative Extension and local farmers, themselves! Be on the lookout.
For a full listing of farmers markets around central Arkansas and beyond, click here.