Recipe: Purple Cow's Zesty Tomato Soup
There's nothing like a warm bowl of soup on a chilly winter day.
And while it can be fun to cook up your own, it's also fun to have some of Little Rock's best chefs provide dozens of choices.
The 37th annual Little Rock Soup Sunday is taking place from 4-7 p.m. on Jan. 28, and attendees can enjoy all the soups, breads and desserts they can eat from more than 30 restaurants!
The event at the Statehouse Convention Center supports Arkansas Advocates for Children & Families and also features silent and live auctions, music, dancing and a kids' area with coloring and other activities.
This casual fundraiser is a perfect event for the whole family. Tickets are $25 in advance, $30 after 5 p.m. on Jan. 26 and $10 for kids 5-17. Kids under 5 get in free. Purchase tickets and find more information on the website.
And while you're waiting for Jan. 29, we have a special treat for you: Purple Cow's zesty tomato soup recipe!
This recipe makes three quarts of zesty tomato soup.
2 tablespoons butter
1½ cups chopped onions
1½ teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon oregano
1½ teaspoons basil
1 teaspoon dill weed
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon chicken base
½ teaspoon sugar
3 cans crushed tomatoes (28 ounces each)
18 ounces water
¼ teaspoon Tabasco
2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 ounces cold water
2/3 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
6 ounces tomato juice
1 tablespoon pesto
1. Melt butter and “sweat” onions, garlic & herbs on medium/low for 10 minutes.
2. Add sugar, tomatoes, water, chicken base and tobacco and cook a half hour over medium heat.
3. Dissolve cornstarch in water and stir in; cook slowly for another half hour.
4. Turn off heat, add sour cream.
5. Cool several hours and puree in food processor.
6. Add milk, cream, tomato juice and pesto. Blend all together well with a whisk.
7. Garnish with croutons and fresh chopped parsley.