Little Rock Family Recipe: Jake Keet’s Collard Greens
When the Keets aren’t eating at one of their restaurants, they usually cook for themselves. Stephanie has Type 1 diabetes, which means she eats low carb.
“Jake’s actually gotten really, really good at low-carb cooking and providing meals for us where it actually tastes good!” she said.
They love stopping by Taziki’s for lunch and still consider a dinner at Petit and Keet a special treat. When they’re at home, collard greens is one of their favorite side dishes to whip up.
Jake Keet’s Collard Greens
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pound fresh collard greens, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Add bacon to a medium sized pan and cook until crisp on medium-high heat.
- Remove bacon from pan, crumble and set aside. Add onion and cook in the bacon grease until tender. Add garlic.
- Add collard greens, and fry until they start to wilt (just a few minutes should do it).
- Add the crumbled bacon back into the pan.
- Pour in chicken broth, and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until greens are tender. Try not to cook them for much longer than this so that they are slightly firmer than purchasing standard canned collards.
These are great for any occasion but make a barbecue meal at home even better.
Get the complete dish on this month's cover feature at Meet the Keets: Busy Restaurateurs Keep Family First