‘Willy Wonka Jr.’ Features Student Cast at The Rep
Oompa, loompa, doompety doo, we're ready for "Willy Wonka Jr." how about you?
A local cast of 39 young actors will take the stage to present "Willy Wonka Jr." at the Arkansas Repertory Theatre from June 21-30. The production is based on the book by Roald Dahl, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."
The show is a musical adaptation of the story of candy manufacturer Willy Wonka, who stages a contest by hiding golden tickets in five of his scrumptious candy bars. Whomever comes up with these tickets will win a free tour of the Wonka factory, as well as a lifetime supply of candy.
"This production features many of the iconic songs from the 1971 film," Anna Kimmell, Director of Education at The Rep, said in a press release. "But we're also putting our own Rep spin on this classic by adding imaginative, theatrical elements to the design and staging. It will be a perfect mix of ‘nostalgic’ and ‘new’ to entertain the young and the young at heart."
Kimmell is also the production’s director and choreographer.
Along with the regular performances, there are several special events that coincide with "Willy Wonka Jr.":
- Art work by seventh and eighth grade students from eStem Downtown Junior High will be displayed in The Rep's lobby during the run of production.
- Meet & greet with the cast at Loblolly on June 6 from 6-8 p.m. Take photos and try a brand new Wonka-inspired Loblolly ice cream flavor.
- Join Kimmell and members of the cast for a panel discussion on the production on June 20 at noon.
- Celebrate opening night with the Innovation Hub on June 21 at 6 p.m. Kids and adults can try various STEM-related, hands-on activities in the lobby.
- Friday, June 21 at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, June 22 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- Sunday, June 23 at 2 p.m.
- Thursday, June 27 at 7 p.m. (ASL-interpreted)
- Friday, June 28 at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, June 29 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- Sunday, June 30 at 2 p.m.
Tickets start at $15 and are available online, by phone at 501-378-0405 or by visiting the Box Office at 601 Main Street in Little Rock.